Sunday, July 19, 2009

Does anyone besides myself think that hair transplant surgery should be covered by health insurance?


answersyahoo.com

I am a 24 year old male suffering from rapid male-pattern hair loss.

My hair started falling out somewhere between ages 18-20, and despite always having a lot of heart, will-power, and self-confidence, it has been a very frightening and depressing road.

It has come to the point where I can't leave my house without wearing a hat. In fact, even at home I wear a hat if any of my family or friends are around.

Basically, I find it very disappointing that 'genetic' hair loss is one of the least prioritised and most underfunded medical 'mysteries' out there. I find it even more disappointing that most of the supposed 'treatments' on the market are complete scams, and that the few that are legitimate such as full-out hair transplantation are so damned expensive!

And of course... worst of all, it is most disappointing that hair transplant surgery itself isn't covered by insurance because of its 'cosmetic' benefits.

Sure, any surgery that changes the way you look can be considered a "cosmetic" surgery. Like a paint job on a car! And of course, no car insurance provider is going to dish out money for you to get your car repainted, simply because you decided you wanted to try out a new color... but when the little old lady who bought way too many groceries and suffers from arthritis rockets her shopping cart into your car, isn't your insurance provider right there to help you get it fixed?

That's a little bit of an imaginative analogy but, I mean, it's not exactly like I wanted my hair to fall out!

And sure, if someone like me could argue that hair transplant surgery shouldn't be considered a "cosmetic" surgery, and/or should be at the very least, partially covered by my health insurance... than that's to say the same about ANY self-improving surgery right?

Well... not really... because when it comes to hair transplants, you're dealing with an entirely different level of self-improvement.

For instance, breast implants. Just like penile implants/enhancements, pectoral implants, or botox, you're talking about "improving" or ADDING something that never existed in the first place. You're literally adding objects(made up of various plastics, and chemicals) to your body simply because you didn't like the way your body developed.

Let's face it, this is America... land of the free, home of the greedy. Everyone 'wants' the next best thing... and everyone wants to look better, thinner, cooler, stronger... etc. than everyone else. Right? And if we feel that maybe nature was wrong, and we should have been made well-endowed we can all simply throw thousands of dollars into plastic surgery! (Yay!)

But ...on the contrary... hair-loss sufferers all "used to" have a full head of hair. Every single person, with the exception of those with rare diseases are born with a healthy, growing, full head of hair. And if we grow up, and we don't like the way it looks... thank god for hair salons and hairspray!

But trust me, it's a very dramatic and disgustedly realization that you're losing one of your best features. Especially for someone like me, who never wants more than he has... and always loved his natural face, body, and soul...

But now I'm a 24 year old male suffering from rapid male pattern hair loss. Now I want, not what I don't have, but what I used to have... what I feel that I should... have... a full head of hair.

To me, hair loss isn't "natural" ... if it were, we'd ALL lose our hair in our early 20's. "Genetics", they say... but you know what else is a genetic predisposition? Diabetes... Thyroid Conditions... Heart Disease... Cancers...

I do not want to be completely bald and helpless by age 30. Either they need to find a CURE for male pattern baldness, OR they need to make hair transplant surgeries ACTUALLY affordable(or covered by insurance, obviously).

*Sigh*

Do you agree? Input, input, input...

Additional Details

Side note: I'm tired of hearing all about how bald men are sexy!

We're all entitled to our opinions... but I'm not one of those people who just goes "Well, at least shaving my head would be in style!" *buzz*

I used to have beautiful, thick golden brown hair... not only did it go with my personality, but it covered up my naturally bumpy skull!

"Some" men can pull off a shaved head... and typically the ones that do... actually have a full head of hair. If they wanted to, they could not shave it, and it would all grow in evenly, over their entire scalp...

If I shaved my head, and waited a few days, it would come back in all patchy and gross looking...

When it comes down to it, this isn't a matter of trying to make sure I'm in-style... this is me wanting to hold onto one of my few great natural born physical features.

And I'm not comparing Hair Loss with terminal diseases. Health insurance typically covers treatment for those, as it should...

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

A year ago my husband suffered from hair loss too and he started trying everything you can imagine to stop his hair loss. the things that really worked for him was:

1) Vitamin A - an anti-oxidant which promotes healthy production of sebum in the scalp;

2) Vitamin E stimulates circulation. Good blood circulation in the scalp is important in keeping hair follicles productive. The 'B' vitamins contribute to melanin, which gives hair its healthy color and also stimulates blood circulation;

3) massage is also beneficial. Massage stimulates circulation. As already noted, good circulation in the scalp keeps hair follicles active. Experts suggest a few minutes of daily head massage by hand. Circulation through massage may be improved by using a few drops of lavender or bay essential oil in an almond or sesame oil base with massage;

4) Try rubbing your scalp with garlic juice, Onion Juice or Ginger Juice(you can either of one out of three, Do not mix any of two or three);

5) also he used herbal treatment - TrichoZed
It is a good product that helps prevent hair loss and it is an FDA approved product. I think it is very important!

It worked and still works for him!

I do not know if any pharmacies carry TrichoZed but I do know that you should purchase it directly from the manufacturer and read more about the product.

It enhances hair growth by blocking DHT (Dihydrotestostrone) - a major cause of hair loss!

2 comments:

  1. If that were the case then that’s like saying women should have botox coved by health insurance. It is an elective procedure with cosmetic benefits on both ends of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think males should visit a hair transplant Doctor to discuss their financial options.

    ReplyDelete